Friday, September 21, 2018

Your deputy head porter called me "love"

From: chaplain.cowspan@gmx.co.uk
To: head_porter.cowspan@gmx.co.uk

Dear Wat,

To get to the point: I came out of the Lodge yesterday and bumped into Ricky, who addressed me as "love".

I appreciate he had two med students competing for his attention, both of whom had a pressing need to use the MCR bike that Lodge keeps the keys for. Nevertheless. please counsel him that I am not, neither is any woman, his darling, his doll, his crumpet, his trophy, or anything predicated by any man of any woman that pertains primarily to him and not to her. And I am certainly not his, or anybody else's, "love".

I am not, nor is any woman, a ping-pong ball in the historical dynamics of patriarchy. I am a Doctor of Divinity, and neither need nor want any man to complete me. Calling a woman "love" evinces a deep-seated misogynistic prejudice that starts with a word and ends in gendercide.

I hope this doesn't take you away too long from your important and vital duties.

With respect

Chas

Charlotte Chidzedze
Chaplain
Cowspan College
Vachepont Parva

No comments:

Post a Comment